Discovering History Virtually with Google Maps

Exploring the world's historical treasures has never been easier, even from the comfort of your home. Google Maps offers a fun way to virtually visit important historical sites when in-person visits aren't possible.

By simply navigating to Google Maps, you can search for renowned landmarks like the Great Wall of China, the Colosseum in Rome, or the Pyramids of Giza. Street View allows you to virtually walk through these sites, offering a ground-level perspective. Additionally, the satellite view provides a bird's-eye perspective, highlighting the scale and layout of these historical wonders.

During the pandemic, my dad and I started sharing locations with each other in Google Maps of places we wanted to visit. We would then use street view to take a virtual walking tour of the location. It was a lot of fun during a time when we were all stuck at home. Eventually, I had the idea to check out Livorno, Italy, the city I lived in for 3 years as a young child. I found the street I used to live on (it doesn't look anything like I remember it, although my dad says it hasn't changed much). Below is a link to my favorite place in Livorno: the sea side. Check it out and let me know what you think. (Also, the reviews that say it's not a "must see" location in Livorno are just plain wrong.)




Comments

  1. I have seen lots of history teachers utilize Google Maps in the classroom and it looks so fun! Unfortunately, I ended up having to block it in my (math) classroom since kids were spending so much time playing around on it instead of doing their dreaded math work. I love how you used it during the pandemic though. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see how it could turn into a distraction instead of a helpful tool. Thank you for bringing that up, because I hadn't thought of it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts